Posted by Dave Bull at 2:25 AM, April 28, 2012 [Permalink]
A couple of days ago, I showed a photograph of my workbench covered with case parts ... Having my table saw go out of commission put a bit of a dint in the plan for the next day, but the router table came to the rescue, and the final work on getting all the parts ready for assembly was finished late last night:
The tops are all jointed, glued up, and grooved for the stand, and the small pieces for the front of the case have been split on the bandsaw at a 5 degree angle; this will be the 'lip' of the case opening. (These parts are taped together so that the pairs won't get separated.)
Who needs a table saw to cut the tops to perfect 90 degree angles, when you can do it this way on the router?
So with all the preparation work done, I got to work early this morning on getting them all assembled - Henry Ford look out!
Young printer trainee Fujii-san showed up unexpectedly part-way through the morning, but she has now progressed enough that she can do productive practice without me helicoptering around, so she spent the day down in the printing room by herself doing stacks of practice prints. I only had to drop in occasionally to see how she was doing, and check the paper moisture, etc.
So I kept at it all day long, and by knocking off time this evening, all those parts had magically become boxes!
I then began the step of fitting all the tops, and that part of it takes a bit of time, because no matter how carefully I made all the individual parts, fitting the tops accurately is a matter of sanding and fiddling with each one to get it to 'feel' just right ...