« Mystique Series #11 : printing steps 17~19 ... she's done! | Main | Japan is OK »

Mystique Series #11 : printing second batch

Posted by Dave Bull at 6:35 AM, March 10, 2011 [Permalink]

Over two weeks since the previous update ...

One week of that was 'erased' from working time - I took a quick 7-day trip over to Vancouver for a family visit. I hadn't been there since last June's Anniversary trip, and as our next 'official' reunion isn't scheduled until (probably) sometime this fall, I didn't want to wait that long before seeing everybody ...

It was a pleasant week just 'hanging out' with everybody, but perhaps the most vivid memory is of the top of the heads of my two grandsons. That's all I saw of them, really - they didn't look up much ... would you, with a magical multi-part transformer from Japan in your hands?

Once back in Tokyo, I got right to it; I'm so far behind now that there was no time to waste ... the printing paper was moistened that same evening, ready for work in the morning. And here we are, exactly a week later, with the second batch of Urashima Taro all done, and ready for signing:

I'll take them down to Tokyo tomorrow evening, where I have an appointment to meet designer Seki-san for dinner; after we have our meal, we'll clean the table top, spread these out, and get signing!

Once that job is out of the way, we'll 'change hats' and finalize the designs for the new Senshafuda project - but more on that over on the Mokuhankan Conversations in a few minutes ...


Following comment posted by: Margaret on March 12, 2011 3:23 AM

In case anyone else is coming to this thread for news from David after the earthquake:

I just spoke with one of his daughters. He is safe, but was away from home at the time of the quake, and was not able to get home because the trains aren't running. He is at the home of one of his collectors. He doesn't have internet access right now, but he is safe and is in touch with his family in Canada.

Following comment posted by: Anita Cage on March 12, 2011 12:14 PM

Thank you, Margaret, for the information. I feared he had already gone into Tokyo for his appointment and was stranded. Very glad to hear he is safe at the home of collectors and in touch with his family. Very relieved.

Hearts are heavy in New Orleans with concern for the people of Japan in this disaster. Many Japanese people were very kind to this city after Hurricane Katrina and we would wish to reciprocate in whatever manner we can. Our thoughts and best wishes are with everyone affected.

I'll keep checking the webcam. Thank you again.

Following comment posted by: Dave on March 12, 2011 1:18 PM

(Cross-posting here ...) Nothing special to report - the quake was very surreal, with the strangest part coming after the main shaking had settled down. For the next few minutes it was just like being on a large ship, and you had to adjust the weight to your legs in turn as the 'deck' seemed to tilt side to side very slowly. It's liquid under there!

40km turned out to be just a 'tad' too far to make it all the way home walking, but it seems I have built up quite a 'network' here in Tokyo without really planning to, and when I got to a place near where I knew one of the collectors lived I knocked on the door and cadged a bite to eat and a place to crash for the night. The trains started running around eight this morning, so I headed home. (Trains moving at a very slow pace, 'for safety'.)

Shocked at the scenes from up north though. So many people washed away before they had a chance to get to safety ...

Thanks for the concern!

Following comment posted by: Mike L on March 12, 2011 1:59 PM

I am certainly glad to hear that David is alive and well. This must be a crushing blow to the Japanese people. Know that there are many here in the US that are thinking and hoping for folks there. Our best wishes to you all and especially to David.

Following comment posted by: Dave on March 12, 2011 2:13 PM

This must be a crushing blow ...

Well, I certainly can't speak for the people up in the area that really got clobbered, but this country (in general) is very much a 'get up, dust yourself off, and get re-building' type of place.

Because of this, 'we' get a strange feeling - and I've heard this from Japanese friends on multiple occasions - whenever we see a news report from a place where there has been a disaster (say) a year ago, and see rubble still lying around. Why don't they get busy and clean it up? What/who are they (still) waiting for?

Add Your Input

Remember Me? (with a cookie ...)

(you may use HTML tags for style)

Back to the Main Page