--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:33 am

Inconsistency with 'facing pages' ... and scrolling 
Site Admin

Post Inconsistency with 'facing pages' ... and scrolling
During some 'back and forth' email with one of the people testing this thing for me, I've learned that there is a bit of a 'muddle' in the way that the whole page layout works. I myself am not thinking of this thing as a 'book' in the sense of trying to duplicate the physical experience of reading a physical book - opening the cover, reading right side, turn the page, read left, read right, turn the page, etc. etc., but it seems that others may be.

For most of the body of this thing, there is no 'left/right', and each spread is designed to be read in one piece. The arrow keys on your keyboard should allow 'flip flip' nagivation from one spread to the next.

But.

Whenever there is a spread with more text than pictures, I have used a column layout - to avoid having overly long lines. This is particular common in the first few pages of the book, before the actual 'meat' appears. And it seems that people reading these pages are feeling ... 'This is like an open book, with a left side and a right side.' And they are trying to scroll sideways ...

Before I get involved with a massive overhaul to try and solve this 'problem', I'd like to hear what others feel about this ... and how you have been browsing. Scrolling?

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:13 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Inconsistency with 'facing pages' ... and scrolling
I guess that I'm used to reading electronic documents and don't have the mindset that I should be able to scroll across open facing pages. Therefore, it's a non-issue for me. Further, I don't think that your readers will have any trouble overcoming their initial inclination (if in fact they have that initial inclination) and quickly accept the medium for what it is.

Marc

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:16 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Inconsistency with 'facing pages' ... and scrolling
I've no problems with the page layout either. I like the idea of breaking up large areas of text into smaller self contained packages, which you have done. From a design and readabilty point of view it makes the page easier to 'read' than just a big slab of text.
I wouldn't retro design this to operate exactly like a book, it's a new thing, and currently very easy to navigate.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 am
Profile E-mail WWW