--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Carving test 

Post Carving test
Just a few words to intoduce myself: my name is Joris and I'm an illutrator based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I was born and raised in France so, please, excuse my poor English.
Printing techniques have always interested me, especially woodblock printing mainly because I find printing blocks -at least- as beautiful as the prints they produce.

So, here is a little carving test just to, well... give it a try.
(please don't look a the quality of the impression, I just quickly printed one piece to check the lines and it's also not printed "the Japanese way")

Carving wood isn't wat I was expecting at all. I was expecting the material to be much more "recalcitrant" but I was surprised to be able to cut with ease in all directions. I probably have to give credits to the nice pear wood and incredibly sharp tool I used (although the last is not exactly made to be used this way). Really, I had a hard time trying not to cut too deep.

The result isn't good but -to be honest- I was expecting much worse so I guess it's still encouraging. Time to go for my first print.

Cheers,
joris

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Carving test
The design and the block. Ready to paste.

I wasn't sure the paper was the right one for the job but it turned to be just fine. Peeling it was a breeze.

Finishing with a few drops a oil to make it transparent. So far so good, but...

...the result a few hours later... mwah... not quite good enough I'm afraid. I tried to recut some lines (her left lower arm) making things much worse; that was definitely not a good idea.

I'll give it an other try as soon as the block is plane again. It's about 3,5cm thick so I can have a few runs before it becomes too thin.
:-)

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Joris, this looks quite interesting!

Why are you displeased with this attempt? It looks (as far as I can see) quite similar to the original sketch ...

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thanks, David. Well, I really made a mess of her nose and mouth and of course it's what I carved last, haha. Next time I'll begin with that part.
The little flying thingie gave me a hard time too. It ended up with nice square like wings (sigh). It was so bad I didn't even print it!

I realize this project is way beyond my (lacking) carving skills but it's not a reason not to try, right? Just for fun sake.
Anyway, in the end it should look something like this.

Four blocks and impressions: black, grey, warm grey and skintone.
I believe the text says sencha (green tea), if it's not I don't know what on earth I have been drinking al this time.
:-)

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:51 am
Profile E-mail WWW