--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am

Very thin kitakata 

Post Very thin kitakata
I love what you say about the importance of the beautiful Japanese papers. It is just something you can't compromise on. I have been using a very thin Japanese kitakata paper for my western style prints for a long time now. Even though printing with it on an etching press is a whole lot more challenging.
http://store.hiromipaper.com/hpr-16kita ... lroll.aspx

I love its warm color but it is a very delicate paper. Probably closer to the gampi you transfer to the block itself. And it gets very fragile when wet. I am worried that the action of the baren will hurt the paper. Is a very thin paper like this good to print with? Or do I need something with a bit more durable?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Very thin kitakata
There will be a couple of factors here:
1) Is it sized? To test, touch it with a 'wet' pen or marker. If the ink runs out into the surrounding area, it would signify an unsized paper, and you will not be able to get normal results with water-based printing.
2) Thin gampi paper doesn't have much 'body'. It works well for etching (when backed) as my friend Peter Miller can testify, but simply doesn't have enough 'room' between the fibres for a good buildup of pigment when printed 'our' way. This is not to say that you can't use it, but you won't be able to get good saturation in your colours.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Very thin kitakata
Ok so I checked for sizing with a wet ink brush. My kitakata is sized (thank goodness!) but now I know to check for that first. and I found more Japanese papers in my flat file. I have some Okawara kozo although the color is a little whiter than I like, it has more of that body that you were talking about. http://store.hiromipaper.com/hp-15okawaramm.aspx I also found some mulberry sheets.

I think what I will do is use the okawara. I have enough for a nice edition but I will stick a couple of sheets of the different kinds of paper in the stack as well, just to see and compare. And I'll photograph the results. I am very nervous about printing. But I don't want to put it off any longer.

Thank you for sharing the link to your friend Peter Miller. His work is very good. :)

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 am
Profile E-mail WWW