--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:54 am

What software was used? 

Post What software was used?
David, I love the book. I have already learned many things from it and I know I will learn more as I re-read it a few times.

I do have a question--what software was used to create the book? I teach jewelry making classes and would like to convert some of my classes into similar e-books.

Thanks,
Marti

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: What software was used?
It's Adobe software for the most part. My daughter bought me the Creative Suite (CS4) a few years back, and it has been the workhorse since then. Here's the workflow:

I of course created most of the raw content first, using these tools:
for text: a basic text editor (everything is unformatted at this point)
for photos: Photoshop
for video: Apple's iMovie, exporting to .m4v format
for audio: Zoom H2 recorder (fabulous tool!), processed through Audacity, exporting to .mp3

Then, to put it all together:
1) do the layout in InDesign; make a few Master Pages, then the body of the book. Photos are linked, not embedded (important point)
2) although the multi-media stuff is not included yet, put the buttons and 'poster images' in place at this point.
3) export to .pdf (I did this in two separate formats - one with images at medium resolution (for the download version), and again at high resolution (for the CD version).
4) open the .pdf file in Adobe Acrobat, and add the multi-media (audio clips, and video). This is where I also did the navigation programming (the pop-up menu I used isn't a built-in feature, but something I had to write myself).
5) Save. (this is complicated, as there are many settings for how to best optimize the file, and plenty of experimentation is required)

That's pretty much it ... You end up with a .pdf file that can be burned to disc and sent to people, or put on the 'net for download. As for the rest of it, disc jacket, promo flyers, etc. that was mostly done in Illustrator of course.

I had a pretty steep learning curve, as there is just noplace where you can learn or read about all this in one place - the information is totally scattered all over the internet. I think I should do a RichMedia eBook on 'How to Make Rich Media eBooks' ... I'd probably sell a million! (And then, of course six weeks later, it would all be out of date ...)

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thanks, David. I appreciate this info. I just got Adobe CS4 so I guess I have the needed software, now I just need to learn how to use it.

Thanks again,
Marti

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Good to hear! If you do give it a go, please don't hesitate to ask when you get stuck; I'd be happy to help out if I can ...

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW