--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Ganpi and Lamination 

Post Ganpi and Lamination
Hi Dave,
I have finished the first test proof of the print, yesterday.

I wanted to confirm with you the meaning of 'face down' when putting the ganpi face down to make the lamination. From the picture I am assuming face down means the shiny side down, ...right?

Thank you.

Ray

Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:53 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Ganpi and Lamination
Ray Nault wrote:
Hi Dave, I have finished the first test proof of the print, yesterday.

Hi Ray ... nice to hear you have been moving forward with this!

But I'm a bit confused by the question. If you have done a test proof, you must have done the carving, no? The ganpi (gampi) paper is used when preparing for carving ...

Quote:
I wanted to confirm with you the meaning of 'face down' when putting the ganpi face down to make the lamination. From the picture I am assuming face down means the shiny side down, ...right?

The shiny side of the gampi paper is the side that you use for printing/drawing the image, so when you are making a lamination, you put the gampi face down on the table, and then glue the other paper to the back of it.

Then, you run the combination through your printer, and the image thus ends up on the shiny side. It gets pasted down onto the block, and the backing paper peeled off.

But in actual practice, gampi paper is so thin, and there is so little difference between the front and back sides, that it doesn't really make any difference which side you use. I have 'got it wrong' any number of times, and it just doesn't matter. So if you are having trouble telling the difference between front and back, don't sweat it.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:04 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Ganpi and Lamination
Thanks Dave,

Yes, I have done the carving (five colors), but now that I have gained such confidence, I am going to start making my own
lamination!!!

I have really appreciated reading through your book again and again: like most wisdom books it imparts things in relationship to our experience! I have profitted from the reading on the handling of the paper, quickly, and also just how to keep the paper consistently moist.

Thanks for your response. I am forwarding another image to you.

Ray

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:21 am
Profile E-mail