--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Viewing the book ... (renamed thread) 
Site Admin

Post Viewing the book ... (renamed thread)
Here's a link to download a sample file, consisting of the first three pages of the first book in this new series.
http://mokuhankan.com/files.php5en?file ... _01_fnzcyr

This sample contains the introduction, and the page for the first of the ten prints that will be included in the complete book. You can inspect the print, and listen to my 'guided tour' of what makes it interesting ... A 'Read Me' file is included in the download package, to explain how to open and use the book.

Note: Please remember that all my Rich Media eBooks require Acrobat Reader version 9 or better, to be able to function properly. They will not work in a previous version.

I am looking forward to everybody's reaction to this concept. Please download the sample file (about 11Mb), and give it a listen!

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:07 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Sample file - with audio - is ready for download ...
Hi Dave, I've just had a chance to listen to, and look at, your sample ebook, 'David's Choice'.
More, more, more please!
What a great idea. I just wanted to see the next image, and the next.
There is such a wealth of beautiful artwork contained in ehon and the work of less well known print artists, but it's so difficult to find and study, especially in the UK.
I suppose the ebook is also a lot cheaper than hopping on a plane to Japan to look at your collection in person ;)
I noticed the sample was 10MB, with 1 print. Would a 10 print ebook be 10 times the file size?
It would be nice if there was some kind of 'magnifying glass' application so you could drag over any area you wanted to study closer. I've seen software applications for this, but have no idea if they would work in an ebook format.
When you have the time, please do more of these. What's the schedule for the release of Vol.1, and will you be producing a CD version of the 'Choices' at some stage?

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to check it out Mark ... appreciated!

I got the first five recordings made last night, and the resulting book was 57Mb. Once they are all in, it'll be very close to 100Mb. In the case of my 'First Print' book, I did two versions, a light-weight one (20Mb) with streaming media, and an embedded version (500Mb). For this book, because the media isn't quite so heavy, I'm only going to do an embedded version. I think most people can handle a download of that size these days, and perhaps many people who can't, are the same type of people who won't have Acrobat Reader 9 anyway ...

Quote:
I suppose the ebook is also a lot cheaper than hopping on a plane to Japan ...

Well, you haven't heard yet how much I'm going to charge for this! :D

As for the 'magnifying glass', there is a limit to how much time I can spend just now on programming and development, so that will have to wait. But I should mention that the photos have a much higher resolution than what first shows on your screen. If you keep zooming in and in and in, you can see a lot more detail, all over the image.

Here on my Mac, I just zoom in with a 'Command +' keystroke, and then pull the image around the screen with the Reader 'hand' tool. (This also works for me in Full Screen mode, although I don't know if that is the case for Windows users ... I'd like to hear reports about people who have found a way to make that work ...)

Quote:
When you have the time, please do more of these.

Cheeze - you are worse than me! You haven't even had a chance to eat this one yet, and you already want more!

Quote:
What's the schedule for the release of Vol.1, and will you be producing a CD version of the 'Choices' at some stage?

This one should be released in a couple of days; I'm trying to be a 'good boy' and spend the main part of each day down at my carving bench, and work on this in the other time left over. But I'm also doing my Autumn newsletter this week, and have just opened up this year's Gift Print page, so go easy on me please!

And yes, I think the potential for this idea is very wide. If this first volume does get accepted by people, I'm sure that I'll do more (I have enough prints to feed this monster for years to come, if necessary). Maybe after three or four were done, it would make a good CD package (along with some 'extras' ... maybe a few video clips of this place, etc.)

And the idea has already reared its head to do some 'David's Choice Visits ...' I would prepare a suitcase with the photo equipment and my little Zoom recorder, and jump on a plane ...

Big museums of course wouldn't even let me in the door (although I think that would be their mistake), but I think there are a number of people who would be glad to sit down together with me, and enjoy browsing through their prints ... What a cool collection this could become! But ... as usual! I don't want to have to wait ... I want to read those books now! C'mon people, get busy and do this yourself ... the tools are cheap, and it's now very easy for anybody to become a publisher of material like this!

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

That Zoomify function you describe is already built into Reader 9. It's called the Loupe tool; you have to customize your toolbar with the More Tools… dialog to access it, and it's down near the bottom of the very long list of options you can add (there's even a snapshot tool), in the navigation iist. Btw, "Zoomify" is the name of a proprietary zooming tool that I believe is Flash based and if so could probably be built into a pdf. But the Loupe tool is sweet and working fine for free, no effort!

http://www.zoomify.com/

I love your touring museums with David idea, and I bet there are museums that would like it, too, as a joint venture. Trouble is finding the admin folks who you can reach and who can also make decisions. But it's definitely worth pursuing, I believe. You're building some excellent calling cards, David!

I've put a little "how to use Reader" video into the last third of a promo video I made for one of my own rich-media products, here:

http://makingtrousersdvd.blogspot.com/

The Reader info starts around 8:40; covers the Loupe tool and other stuff…

dpc

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:04 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Quote:
the Loupe tool

Yes, thank you for reminding me of this! I'll have to explore it, and perhaps put some 'how to' information into the READ ME file.

Quote:
excellent calling cards ...

Well, doing this over the past few days was partly for fun (and learning) - and to see what would come out - but I guess it is good P/R too ... But mostly, it's the 'end of the month' problem that keeps pushing me forward on these things! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for sending feedback!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:14 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Viewing the book ... (renamed thread)
Yes..so many prints so little time !

One thing that has always attracted me to your site were the visits to the old craftsmen....personally I think a few of those would make for an interesting e-book, give further inside to the craft and also serve to document the current state of traditional printmaking in Japan. Sadly many of the old familiar names have passed on, but perhaps there are still a few around worth interviewing ? For starters I would like to see one on Goto-san the baren maker and one on Iwano-san the paper maker. Perhaps is time to bring out that old video footage of Ito-san the carver !

Calling cards ? joint venture with the museums/collectors ?
This has some real possibilities if you could get by all the red tape and find a champion for your cause from inside the organization. Who would publish the e-book...the museum/collector or Mokuhankan Publishing ? split royalties ?

Julio

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:32 pm
Profile E-mail

David Coffin wrote:
That Zoomify function you describe is already built into Reader 9. It's called the Loupe tool; you have to customize your toolbar with the More Tools… dialog to access it, and it's down near the bottom of the very long list of options you can add (there's even a snapshot tool), in the navigation iist.

Hi David (Coffin),

I wasn't familiar with the loupe tool, but just tried it and I think it's pretty cool.

However, I don't think it addresses my particular issue which is how to be in Full Screen Mode in Windows and zoom into the image on the screen for a closer look. I understand that it works on the Mac platform using the command + or - hot keys and that you can drag to image around when it gets too big to show in the space provided. But, I'm in Windows. Once I'm in Full Screen mode, my tool bar is gone so I have no access to the loupe.

Do you have any ideas about how to be in Adobe Reader 9, in Windows, in Full Screen mode, and interactively zoom in and out of an image?

Marc

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi, Marc

Sorry, on a Mac and don't have any way to test this on a PC, but I'd be very surprised that Adobe has allowed the Mac to have any Acrobat features that the PC version doesn't have. They tend very regularly to go the other way… Btw, I enjoyed learning about the + and - key commands, didn't know about those.

One way to do this might be to have the original designer build some zooming controls into the page graphics, using Acrobat Pro. I did that in a recent production and I assume it works as well on the PC as it does here on my Mac. There's a link to download a sample below; maybe you could try it out in Full-Screen mode (see the Zoom Text and Zoom Slides buttons, which zoom up to preset portions of the page, and the Zoom Text buttons which zoom back out) and post here if it works for you?

I'd appreciate it, assuming David doesn't mind!
dpc
This will download a 5MB pdf with full-screen zooming and Flash content (NOT Japanese-print-related, btw):
http://sn.im/no2lu-blo

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:16 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

David Coffin wrote:
... assuming David doesn't mind!

I'm easy ... no problem. (Anything to help get this RichMedia stuff better known and more widely understood ...)

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:25 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Hi everybody,

I just figured out how to zoom in and out under Windows when viewing a pdf in full screen mode. When in full screen mode, press ctrl and the spacebar, and move your mouse to see the mouse pointer change into a zoom-in icon. Keeping ctrl and the spacebar down, left-click the mouse to zoom in as much as you like. To zoom out press ctrl + alt + spacebar (and left click). That's it!

I hope this works for you as well.

Jacques

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Jacques Commandeur wrote:
Hi everybody,

I just figured out how to zoom in and out under Windows when viewing a pdf in full screen mode. When in full screen mode, press ctrl and the spacebar, and move your mouse to see the mouse pointer change into a zoom-in icon. Keeping ctrl and the spacebar down, left-click the mouse to zoom in as much as you like. To zoom out press ctrl + alt + spacebar (and left click). That's it!

I hope this works for you as well.

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

It's not very intuitive, but it works well except for one wrinkle. To zoom out, on my Windows machine, it is necessary to press ctrl + spacebar + alt in that order. Pressing them in the order as you wrote it (ctrl + alt + spacebar), it doesn't work.

Also, once you've got it expanded, you can stop pressing the ctrl + spacebar and then drag the image around using the left-clicked mouse.

Thanks for providing the key to this functionality. It adds immensely to the viewing experience.

Best,
Marc

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:46 am
Profile E-mail

Hi Marc,

Thank you for smoothing out these wrinkles in my explanation. I was so focused last Sunday on working out how these zoom-in and -out procedures are achieved in Windows that I didn't even notice I accidently used the correct order of pressing the keys on my keyboard (i.e., ctrl + spacebar + alt, in that order) to zoom out. For an unaware viewer, it can be utterly frustrating if these small but important details are not mentioned (me being one of them)!

Best regards,
Jacques

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail

I have a little problem viewing the book, in particular, clicking on the thumbnails to change the image. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
I can click on the large centre image and that changes the image to the next thumbnail, so I do get to view them all, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and may know what is causing it?
Cheers.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

What seems to be happening with some people - actually everybody, I think - is that when you activate more than one enlargement at a time, it gets confused.

The enlargements are 'stored' in hidden layers, which are exposed when the thumbnail triggers are clicked. If you open one thumbnail, then another - before closing the first one - there are now two of them 'visible' (one on top of the other). They both have to be sent away before the main image can be seen again.

One twist on this is that the order of the enlargements in the hidden layers is random. So if you have (say) enlargement #1 opened, and then click to open #2, it might open behind #1. (Because I myself was always a 'good boy' during testing, and closed them one by one, I didn't discover this until just recently.)

So I'm going to make an updated version, in which the enlargements are all stacked up in the same order of the thumbnails, and will add a page to the book with some notes on how to manage them ... But not today. Today I'm busy. DHL tracking shows the discs for 'Your First Print' should be here very soon, and I have a lot of stuff to pack!

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail WWW