--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:53 am

Can you help with a recipe for sizing? 

Post Can you help with a recipe for sizing?
My question is, do you know a good ingredient to prep nikawa sticks and alum to make dosa? The amount of nikawa sticks and alum with water?

I'm at the point in my printing where I've been using regular paper but printed with mediocre results. I've learned that sizing your paper can dramatically help to the shrinking and expanding of the paper and that it is the most important process to traditional Japanese woodblock printing.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Can you help with a recipe for sizing?
Not quite sure what you are asking ...  Nikawa is melted in warm water, and the alum mixed in. That's about all there is to it. Getting the exact 'recipe' correct is extremely difficult, as it depends on so many factors: thickness of the paper being sized, the humidity in the air, the speed at which the paper will be dried, the 'hardness' of sizing required for the particular printing job, etc. etc.

There is some basic recipe information on the page here:
http://woodblock.com/encyclopedia/entri ... ap_3c.html

If you are new to printmaking I would really recommend that you not get too much involved with this just yet. I would suggest getting a basic facility at printing while using standard Japanese papers (hosho, torinoko, etc.) that have been sized by the supplier. Once you have a deeper feeling for how the printing works, it then makes sense to start experimenting with sizing ...  There are just so many factors to control, that it can be very frustrating, even for those of use with quite some experience ...

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW