--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:37 am

The paper is still buckling ... 

Post The paper is still buckling ...
I have a short question. You once gave me the advice to dry my paper after printing carefully (printing these huge sheets I got sometimes buckles). May I ask you what you mean exactly? How can I exclude that the paper gets buckles from drying?

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: The paper is still buckling ...
Quote:
You once gave me the advice to dry my paper after printing carefully
(printing these huge sheets I got sometimes buckles). May I ask you
what you mean exactly? How can I exclude that the paper gets
buckles from drying?

If the moisture across the paper is uneven, it is very likely that the paper will buckle when drying. If the design of the print means that some wide areas are unprinted, then uneven moisture is very likely. You have to be very careful to keep it even.

During the course of printing, how are you stacking the paper? The sheets should be placed on the stack in a way that tries to keep the moisture balance as even as possible. If you stack them up one on top of each other, the sky area may  become completely dry, while the lower area stays moist.  Switch each one around, so that sky is on top of ground is on top of sky, etc. etc.

Or if it is possible, use one of the traditional methods of stacking:
http://woodblock.com/encyclopedia/entri ... 4_01_3.jpg
http://woodblock.com/encyclopedia/entri ... 4_01_2.jpg

Then, when you have finished the final impression, don't start drying immediately. Leave them stacked and wait until the moisture has equalized - right to the very edges of the sheets. The edge should be exactly the same dampness as the center of the printed area. Then, and only then, start drying. And try and do the drying as slowly as possible. If you detect the beginning of buckling, re-cover and re-stack the sheets to try and equalize the moisture before continuing.

(If you have 'stretched' the paper with your baren while printing, then the paper will buckle anyway, but I'm assuming the problem is coming from rapid/unequal drying ...)

Hope this helps ...

Dave

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:34 pm
Profile E-mail WWW