--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 am

Problems on printing the color block after the keyblock 

Post Problems on printing the color block after the keyblock
:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

I print the keyblock first and the colorblock after.
When I print the color block
I found the print inked the color block with black lines and it made my light yellow color block very dirty :oops:

Should I print the keyblock last to solve the problem???
(But I feel more comfortable for printing the keyblock first)

Attachments:
s.jpg
s.jpg [ 206.2 KiB | Viewed 27597 times ]
Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:40 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Problems on printing the color block after the keyblock
You have to wait a bit before doing the colours. A professional printer will do only the key block on the first day, then let the paper 'set' overnight, beginning the colour work the next day.

This will minimize transfer, but perhaps not completely stop it, especially when using a very light colour, as is the case with your light yellow. If the problem persists, you have a couple more options: wipe the colour block after each impression, to remove the grey residue, or dry the paper once after printing the keyblock impression, wait a day or so, then re-moisten and continue. That takes time, but will certainly stop the problem.

It might also be worth mentioning that when printing the keyblock on an ukiyoe-type print, a generally thin black is used, with as little paste as possible. Lines printed this way almost never transfer. If a thick black outline is desired these are (sometimes) done last, rather than first, with a lot of good testing initially, to ensure that the colour blocks do indeed line up properly. (We do all our little Chibi Heroes prints this way ... key block last.)

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:02 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Thank you so much for answering :)
I finally decided to print the key block last and happily it went quite smoothly.

I found that when the print is dried, the colour becomes lighter.
Is this the matter of colour pigment or paper used?
(I am using watercolour and watercolour paper...)
Is the colour powder gives a more stable colour after dried?

More, I would like to ask when should I add paste when printing?
Any different for brushing the colour first and brush the paste later / brush the colour together with the colour?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Sophie wrote:
I found that when the print is dried, the colour becomes lighter. Is this the matter of colour pigment or paper used?

If you are using tube watercolours then this is quite likely; such colours are quite 'weak' from our point of view. They don't generally have much 'body', and they are very prone to fading, even within a period of some months, let alone years. Using ground powder pigments will give much more rich (and stable) results.

Quote:
More, I would like to ask when should I add paste when printing? Any different for brushing the colour first and brush the paste later / brush the colour together with the colour?

I don't think this matters much. As long as you get everything thoroughly brushed out together, it isn't relevant which one hit the block first. What is important is that the wood is not dry when first touched by either pigment or paste. Let the wood drink a bit first before hitting it with any colour, or you will end up with stained places that will show up in the print ...

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:02 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I see. Thanks Dave!!!
:roll: I feel like I am visiting Japan to get to learn more about the tools and materials.
According to the Kickstarter page, you allow backers to visit your studio and get a hands on experience.
Are you still opening your studio to the public??

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Well, we're not 'open to the public', but if you're visiting Japan, give us a call and see if we can arrange a time for a short visit ... it's usually possible. Although we certainly can't promise everybody a Print Party ...

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Seriously I would like to visit the Seseragi Studio!!!
I am planning to visit Japan in Sep for the Mokuhanga Conference in Tokyo.
(Seems there are many tools/materials/exhibitions/demonstration get together : )
So would it be possible to make a visit around that time?
Please let me know when will be the best time for you
(I don't want to borther you from daily carving and printing work)

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I've already had a few 'feelers' from people who will be here for the Conference; it's quite likely that we might be organizing some kind of Open House day during that week. Maybe everybody can travel out here together - we'll arrange a mini-bus or something to do a station pickup ... It's still way too soon, but anyway, we'll be here ...

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 am
Profile E-mail WWW