--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:32 am

Tracing paper and glue 

Post Tracing paper and glue
There was a thread from years ago that had similar questions, but I didn't want to resurrect it and then hijack the topic, so I thought I'd make a new one.

I'm trying to get a handle on making the image paper. I have a lot of questions, so I'll put them on separate lines. :)

For backing paper, can you just use plain old printer paper?

In the pdf I see you're using 3M spray adhesive. Is it the 55 type? That's what it looks like, but I just wanted to be sure. How long after spraying do you attach the image?

You said that western tracing paper isn't so good and that paper used for shoji will work. I'm living in Japan, so if I go down to the local home center (Musashi, here on Sado) the stuff they have there should do. I assume I should get the thinnest kind?

What kind of glue do you use to adhere the image to the block? Would it be OK to use that kind of glue that comes in the little bottles with the orange top? Or is paste better?

Sorry if these questions seem kinda dumb!

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:57 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Tracing paper and glue
Hi Matthew ... welcome to the Forum!

Matthew Downs wrote:
For backing paper, can you just use plain old printer paper?

I just use standard 'copy' paper, but be careful not to use a really thin type, as that might be a tad unstable.

Quote:
In the pdf I see you're using 3M spray adhesive. Is it the 55 type? That's what it looks like, but I just wanted to be sure. How long after spraying do you attach the image?

Yes, it's the 55 type, not sprayed too heavily, or it will be difficult to remove the backing sheet later. I spray and lay them together right away.

Quote:
You said that western tracing paper isn't so good and that paper used for shoji will work. I'm living in Japan, so if I go down to the local home center (Musashi, here on Sado) the stuff they have there should do. I assume I should get the thinnest kind?

This is tough to answer without seeing what you have. Some of those papers are so absorbent that they just can't be printed smoothly. All I can suggest is that you try a small piece, and if you can print it without the lines 'fuzzing up', and it seems to stay fairly stable dimensionally, then it should be OK. Sorry to be vague ...

Quote:
What kind of glue do you use to adhere the image to the block? Would it be OK to use that kind of glue that comes in the little bottles with the orange top? Or is paste better?

For normal colour block transfers (no fine lines) I use the orange top bottles; that stuff is quite 'sticky' and works very well. But for key blocks, or other places where there are a lot of fine lines, I use white wood glue (applied thinly). The key lines tend to peel off after one side has been cut, if you use the weaker mucilage type of glue. With wood glue, they stay put, although it does take a bit longer to wash the residue off after carving is done ...

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:21 am
Profile E-mail WWW

OK! Thank you for the quick reply!

Guess I'll head down to Musashi and see what kind of Shoji they have. I think all I have here at my house is the kind made so cats can't scratch through it. ;) I think that stuff might be a bit too thick.

Oh, and one last thing, after you've attached the image paper to the backing paper, do you run it through your printer then? Or should I wait a bit?

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:32 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Matthew Downs wrote:
Oh, and one last thing, after you've attached the image paper to the backing paper, do you run it through your printer then? Or should I wait a bit?

I don't think it matters. Where it does make a difference is after you have put the image onto the transfer paper. Once you've got that far, then get it glued down onto wood without delay. If you do the image on a dry day, and then paste it down a few days later on a rainy day, you may be in big trouble - if the transfer sheets have altered dimensions over that time ...

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:54 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Alrighty. I would think that I'd be putting the image directly on the block pretty soon after printing anyway. But now, I'll just make that part of the routine. :)

Thanks again for the replies!

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:08 am
Profile E-mail

Update: Yes, the shoji paper at the home center worked great. I just picked up a 600 yen roll of the smaller size (for the little windows on top of the big bay windows in a lot of houses here) and cut off pieces to fit on the paper. The printer printed a nice image, and then I used the orange-top glue on the block. After removing the backing paper and then letting it dry a bit, you can rub off a lot of the excess shoji paper, leaving the image still on the block. Though you have to make sure you've got glue over every bit of the block, or when you start rubbing the paper away, if there's no glue then it will rip the paper and image off.

I'm sure gampi paper is much better, but as a beginner the shoji paper will do fine, I think.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:15 am
Profile E-mail

Sorry. I have one last question.

In one of the videos I noticed you spreading some liquid on the image before you started cutting. Is that water? After rubbing that liquid on the image was very clear. With the shoji, I found that sometimes while trying to rub a a bit of the top layer of the paper off, it was also removing the image as well.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:27 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

It's camellia oil … putting a very light amount of it onto the surface makes the remaining paper completely transparent, leaving the lines of the design very clear and sharp. But be careful not to use too much, or the 'wetness' of it will soften the glue, and the paper may come off the wood ...

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW