--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 am

Anti-slip material, that forgotten tool 

Post Anti-slip material, that forgotten tool
Hello,

I want to ask you about the "anti-slip" material used to make the woodblock stand still.

Of course, I know that a metallic material would be good if your block only have one face to be carved but it will damage somehow the back wooden layers.

The one I'm using is a truly cheap syntetic plastic one from Matsumura but I've also remember seeing videos of people using some clothes too. I find it holds the block quite good by itself.

So, my question would be simple: what kind of anti-slip material do you use or think is best?

Sincerely,
Franz

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Anti-slip material, that forgotten tool
Franz Rogar wrote:
So, my question would be simple: what kind of anti-slip material do you use or think is best?

In the photos I included in the 'Your First Print' book, when I showed the block ready for carving, it was sitting on a type of rubbery non-skip mat. I did this because I have learned that inexperienced carvers are very likely to cut themselves if they try to hold the block steady while carving, and that keeping it on such a mat is the safest way to proceed.

But actually, professional carvers never use such a mat. When I put a piece of wood down on the bench ready to begin carving, I simply place it onto a small piece of soft cloth. This has two functions: it prevents the rear face of the wood from becoming scratched and it allows the block to slide around easily so that I can always have it positioned in a good orientation for cutting a particular angle of line ...

Non-slip material is not necessary - I'm speaking of the process of cutting the lines - because we are never trying to force the tool through the wood in a way that would cause the wood to move.

Once it comes time to begin the main clearing with the large chisels and hammer, the wood is prevented from moving by the use of a bench stop. The block itself simply sits on the same piece of cloth all through the entire process.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail WWW