--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:01 am

My first print 

Post My first print
Attachment:
my_first_attempt.jpg
my_first_attempt.jpg [ 230.63 KiB | Viewed 18324 times ]
Here it is, its based on a print by Carl Thiemann. Its not pretty close up, sloppy carving, etc, but I learned a lot and had fun doing it. I think I will pick a less complicated subject and start over, I dont see going any further with this one. I know exactly what I did wrong thanks to Dave's marvelous ebook, i had to make the mistakes to burn the lesson into my head

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:19 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: My first print
You say no point in going further with this one, but have you considered making some basic colour blocks for it? There would be plenty to learn by trying that too! Looks like fun ... I like the choice of image ...

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:00 am
Profile E-mail WWW

actually, i was just looking at the block and thinking the same thing. Def gonna clean this block up a bit. I was looking at some examples online, and the artists did completely different pictures using the same set of blocks. It doesn't look so bad now that i walked away from it for a while.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:17 am
Profile E-mail

These look fantastic Greg, the mark making on the water and the sail is really evocative. I hope you don't discard it just yet, too!

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I decided to move on to a different project. The quality of the carving on the sailboat picture was not up to my standards, nor was it an original picture. Here are some blocks of a drawing and carving I am satisfied with. It will require six blocks total. Black key block, color block to create blue-yellow gradient in background, and three blocks for the different areas of gray in the feathers. It's an ambitious first try I know, but that's just how I roll. I've seen many examples of prints where print maker used same set of blocks to make different color combinations, resulting in markedly different prints from the same set of blocks, I think this project will provide me with a set of blocks to try a few variations, should be a good learning experience.

Pictures of the Floating World- http://tinygorilla.com/wordpress/

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I'm not sure how to reply - criticize you for giving up, or encourage you for starting another one!

Couple of questions/points on the Egret print:
- what's the wood? It looks pretty soft ...
- is it jointed? Joints may give you grief when printing that background colour ...

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:48 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

i never give up! I learn from my mistakes and move on.
The wood is maple, hard as hell, (though I'm more used to carving basswood, butternut and mahogany, much softer woods), but they would never hold detail like I want. I have been carving wood for years and have some really nice sharp swiss-made (pfiel) gouges. Yes it is jointed, I got it because the price is right, thanks for asking. If I like my results, I think it may be a small matter to purchase a wider unjointed board in order to recarve that block, I still need to learn how the wood absorbs moisture and ink etc, this is very much a trial project for me. Unfortunatley, extreme poverty precludes me from buying better stock at this time.
I tried shina plywood, but its too mushy and soft for my tastes, there is no money for anything better than Lowes maple stock for now. Tried baltic birch ply, linoleum, hated them.

Im not discarding the sailboat block, I just think it needs work that I'm not willing to do at this time.

Its not unusual for me to have several projects at various stages of progress at the same time. I recently finished a carving I was working on for a year that only had about 20 hours actual time involved with it.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Quote:
The wood is maple ...

Hmmm ... not sure what to say here. My own experience with maple - a single block in my early experiments - was negative in the extreme. It was very difficult to carve, with brittle areas that chipped off everywhere. When it came time to print, I found that water wouldn't absorb/release well, and it couldn't produce a good impression.
I certainly hope the pieces you have used are more cooperative, and I will be waiting eagerly to hear your report!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:47 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Very good point! I did notice water was repelled by the maple when I glued my hanshita. The sailboat was carved maple, I had that problem so I soaked the wood for a while and it was better. As far as I could tell.
The wood is factory jointed, very tightly, , not my first choice, I am concerned that differing densities of wood near the joint will cause problems.
i just located a lumber company nearby in Cambridge Mass that sells 11.5" wide cherry at $10 a lineal foot. If this project gives me fits I may take a ride out there and see about getting me some. I like carving maple, I have been carving for years and I have no chipout so far, maybe bad things will happen when I start rubbing it with my baren! How will I know if its the wood or poor technique?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:56 am
Profile E-mail