--- Go to the Woodblock.com Front Page ---

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:43 am

The adventure of getting a good impression 

Post The adventure of getting a good impression
Hello everyone, I want to share my experience (sad so far ...) with block printing the Japanese way. I do not want to bore them and I will go straight to the point.
This is my project for Japanese woodblock:

This is my key block:

Here is an impression with oil ink just to "see" what is engraved.

These are my test prints.

As you will see, of all, there is no good achieved. They were either "dry" or saturated. There are some that were printed on dry paper just like test print, but watching David's videos, even the tests he does on a paper he calls copy paper, are excellent!

Points to consider
I have never printed on washi paper, in my country it is not found and I must order it abroad. The papers I used may not be the best or most indicated, although I consulted an alternative and was told that the Canson Classic Cream paper worked well, (in the photo of the print tests is the paper cream tone, Which were some "dry", perhaps lacking moisture)
Questions:
Do you know paper alternatives that work well for this type of printing? And that they have a suitable grammage? (This while I hope to buy the washi paper)
Do you know alternatives to sumi ink? Can I take any Chinese ink?

I understand that my work may not be useful for this technique, because I use thick black lines, but it is possible to print technically well this type of drawing?
Thanks for your comments. Greetings.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The adventure of getting a good impression, the photos!
juanpablo wrote:
Hello everyone, I want to share my experience (sad so far ...) with block printing the Japanese way. I do not want to bore them and I will go straight to the point.
This is my project for Japanese woodblock:

This is my key block:

Here is an impression with oil ink just to "see" what is engraved.

These are my test prints.

As you will see, of all, there is no good achieved. They were either "dry" or saturated. There are some that were printed on dry paper just like test print, but watching David's videos, even the tests he does on a paper he calls copy paper, are excellent!

IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/64m9tk.jpg[/IMG]

"the best"

Points to consider
I have never printed on washi paper, in my country it is not found and I must order it abroad. The papers I used may not be the best or most indicated, although I consulted an alternative and was told that the Canson Classic Cream paper worked well, (in the photo of the print tests is the paper cream tone, Which were some "dry", perhaps lacking moisture)
Questions:
Do you know paper alternatives that work well for this type of printing? And that they have a suitable grammage? (This while I hope to buy the washi paper)
Do you know alternatives to sumi ink? Can I take any Chinese ink?

I understand that my work may not be useful for this technique, because I use thick black lines, but it is possible to print technically well this type of drawing?
Thanks for your comments. Greetings.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The adventure of getting a good impression
Hi juanpablo,

Those look great, I really like the illustration (Don Quixote?)

The paper problem is something we all experience I think, even Dave himself. I can't help yet, but I am working on a new carving myself and will try some of the new Awagami Editioning paper that is made with mulberry and is already pre-sized. There are three varieties that come already sized so for me those are the only options. I'm hoping these give nice results and will certainly post here when I know for sure.

As for the test prints you made, Dave might correct me, but I think the solution is more paste, have the block a little damp before you apply it and easy on the ink - getting the right consistency of paste is also important I'm not sure how to describe it when it's right.

And I think any kind of black ink / pigment is fine for beginning, at least I don't stress too much about that. The right balance of water, paste and pigment is most important I think.

Anyway, not a hell of a lot of help I guess, but I wanted to respond because what you've done already is very impressive and I wanted to say so!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 pm
Profile E-mail